Steps for E-Filing Of Income Tax Return
The filing of e-returns in India can be done by filing income tax returns offline and uploading XML to the official website: IncomeTaxIndiaeFiling.gov.in or through submission of ITR 1 document online. Filing returns seem to be complicated but in reality, are not. Let us find out the steps to file an income tax return:
- Log in to the IncomeTaxIndiaeFiling.gov.in website and designate yourself.
- Add your Pan Card number as your User ID.
- You can inspect your tax credit statement or the Form 26AS. Make sure the TDS as per your Form 16 matches the figures in Form 26AS.
- Opt the option 'income tax return forms' and further choose your financial year.
- Now download the applicable ITR form. Exceeding exempted income up Rs. 5000 should apply to ITR 2.
- Download the return preparation software or open excel utility and complete the Form 16 with entire details.
- Choose the 'calculate tax' tab to check the amount payable.
- Pay the tax applicable and fill the challan details.
- Confirm the data provided in the worksheet and click Validate tab.
- Generate an XML file and save on your desktop.
- Go to the upload return option and upload the saved XML file.
- You will further find a pop-up asking digital signature to the file. If you have a digital sign, click yes else, no.
- Download the ITR verification (ITR-V) form, the generated acknowledgement form.
- Take a print out of the ITR-V form and sign it with a blue pen.
Send the same through speed post within 120 days of filing returns to the income tax department, CPC, Post Bag No. 1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore, 560100, Karnataka.
For ITR 1 and ITR 4S Forms
In the case of ITR 1 or ITR 4S is applicable, the process can be completed on the site itself using Quick e-file ITR link.
- Login to the e-filing application
- Go to e-file, prepare and submit ITR Online.
- Select the ITR form and assessment year.
- Fill your details and click on 'submit'. Select the Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) option if applicable.
- You will find the acknowledgement details displayed after submission.
- Click the given link or get a printout of the acknowledgement.
In a case of DSC, one has to register to the e-filing application. Log in to the e-filing site of the IT Dept. and putting up details on profile settings. Download the ITD e-filing DSC Management utility to generate a DSC file.
There are numerous private portals too that offer services of filing income tax returns online. These websites charge a fee of INR 200-300 for the provided services.