Duplicate PAN Card
A Duplicate PAN Card is issued in case the Card gets misplaced, lost, damaged, or stolen. On any of these circumstances, you need to firstly lodge an FIR at the nearest police station. After this, raise a request for a duplicate PAN Card or reprint of the same by providing a copy of the FIR and old PAN. You can also reapply for a new PAN Card instead. Reprinting of PAN Card or its duplicate copy can be requested in case of damage to the document, or similar. In such case, a new card is issued but the PAN does not change.
The Chief of Central Board of Direct Taxes mentioned in the Union Budget 2019 that the Government will launch centres across the India to facilitate applications for e-PAN Card. In this post, we will discuss about things to consider before applying for a duplicate PAN Card, how to download the PAN Card online, how to apply for a duplicate PAN offline, application for PAN Card replacement in case of damage, and frequently asked questions.
Things to Consider Before You Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card
You need to file an FIR on losing your PAN Card. You need to send the FIR copy and documents for a duplicate PAN Card application to the NSDL office. Here are further things to keep in mind further:
- Aadhaar Card number is required of the applicant, if he/she is a minor. The system will authenticate the Aadhaar Number.
- You need to pay a small fee to receive the duplicate copy of PAN Card, of the communication address is in India or abroad. The fee amount will differ as per the place of address.
- You can make the payment through Debit Card, Credit Card, Net Banking, or Demand Draft.
- If you pay through debit card or credit card, then 2% additional charge is applicable by the bank providing the gateway facility. In case of an address abroad for currency other than INR, conversion rates will apply.
- When you send the application via post, mention ‘Application for Reprint of PAN-Acknowledgement No’ on top of the envelope.
- After payment, you will receive acknowledgement details that you need to keep safe. Print the acknowledgement details as these have to be uploaded on the NSDL e-Gov website.
- You will get the copy of PAN Card on the provided address as per the Aadhaar Card details.
- In case of use of thumb impression for signature, a Gazetted Officer, Magistrate, or Notary Public has to verify it under official stamp and seal.
- If the duplicate PAN applicant is a non-individual, an authorized signature is required on the acknowledgment receipt. The authorized signatory could be Partner in case of a Partnership Firm, Karta in case of HUF, Trustee in case of Trust, Director in case of Company, and likewise.
How to Download PAN Card Online/e-PAN Card?
You need to visit the NSDL portal to download e-PAN Card. For this, you will require the Acknowledgement Number, date of birth, and PAN Number. Click here to access the login. Here are the further steps to download your PAN Card online with the acknowledgement number:
- Enter the acknowledgement number and click ‘Generate OTP’.
- You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number.
- Click ‘Validate’.
- Click ‘Download PDF’ to download online PAN Card.
You can even download e-PAN Card with your date of birth details:
- Visit the link here to download e-PAN from NSDL portal.
- Provide the details in the form as requested such as PAN number, birth date, and captcha code.
- Click ‘Submit’ to download the PAN Card.
Here are steps to generate duplicate PAN Card:
- You will receive a token number.
- Keep this number safe for future references.
- Click ‘Continue with PAN Application Form’.
- You have to now fill up specific sections on the application form.
Section: Personal Details
In this section, you have to select the mode of submitting documents for PAN Card application. You can choose from the following options:
- Submit digitally with e-KYC and e-sign
- Submit the scanned images with e-Sign
- Submit documents physically
Now, check the box wherein it states you need a physical copy of the PAN Card.
- Enter your Aadhaar Number
- Provide the EID Number
- Enter your name as per that on the Aadhaar Card
- Also provide your mother’s and father’s name
- Click ‘Next’
Section: Communication and Other Details
- Choose the address for communication, which could be either that of residence or office.
- Provide details of address.
- Also enter your email address and other contact details.
- Click ‘Next’.
Section: Document Details
- The final step is to provide documents to apply for a duplicate PAN Card.
- Upload your Aadhaar Card as a proof of birth of date, identity, and address.
- Now add a declaration. Enter your place, name, and date.
- Click ‘Submit’.
- Now you will be redirected to the payment section.
- It can take up to 2 weeks from the application date to receive the duplicate PAN Card.
- After you do the payment, you will get the Acknowledgement Number.
- This is a 15-digit number. You can use this number to track the PAN Card application.
How to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card Offline?
Here are the steps to get a Duplicate PAN Card offline:
- Firstly, print the form – Request for new PAN Card and/or changes or corrections in PAN data.
- Now enter the details as required in the form.
- Enter your PAN Number of 10-digit.
- Attach your own two passport-sized photographs on the form. Now cross-sign on the photographs.
- After filling the form, send it to the NSDL centre with other documents such as proof of address, proof of identity, and others.
- Ensure you make the payment. After receiving and reviewing the form, the NSDL will provide a 15-digit reference number.
- Using this number, you can check the status of your application.
- The NSDL office will send your application for Duplicate PAN Card to the Income-Tax PAN services unit.
- Here, all the information you have provided will be checked, and if those are accurate, then the duplicate Card will be sent to you within 14 days from the application date.
How to Apply for a PAN Card Replacement if the Card is Damaged?
Here are steps to replace a damaged PAN Card:
- Visit the official website of NSDL.
- Fill the PAN Card replacement form online.
- Click ‘Submit’.
- There will be a box wherein you can fill the required changes you need for your PAN Card.
- Then provide PAN details and address.
- Submit your Aadhaar details in the application form when requesting for a new PAN Card.
After making the entry, you will get the acknowledgement, which will contain details such as:
- Acknowledgement number that is of unique 15-digit
- Aadhaar number
- Space for signature
- Space for photograph if the applicant is an individual
- Payment details
- Category of applicant
- Name of applicant
- Communication address
- PAN (Permanent Account Number)
- Details about proof of address, proof of identity, and proof of birth if it is HUF or individual applicant
- In case the applicant is an individual then father’s nae will be there
- Date of birth/incorporation/Partnership or Trust Deed/agreement/Association of Persons/formation of body of individuals
Frequently Asked Questions about Duplicate PAN Card
Here are the FAQs for Duplicate PAN Card:
Some of the reasons under which an individual/trust/company can apply for a duplicate PAN Card are mentioned below:
- Misplaced: If you misplace the card or not sure where you have kept the document, then you can apply for a duplicate copy.
- Change of Details: If you want to make changes in your PAN Card due to possible errors, then you can get this document reprinted and replaced with accurate and new details.
- Damaged: If your PAN Card gets damaged, then you can reprint the same.
- Theft/Loss: It is possible that you lose your PAN Card in theft or any other circumstance. In this case, you can reapply for a replacement card or duplicate version.
You can check the status of PAN verification after receiving the acknowledgment. You have to verify the PAN within 5 days from getting the acknowledgement. Here are steps for PAN verification through PAN number:
- Log onto the official NSDL PAN website
- Provide the details of your existing PAN Card number for reprint or replacement of this document
- Enter the captcha
- Click ‘Submit’
- After this step, you will be able to see the PAN verification status
You can use the facility of ‘Know Your PAN’ in case you lost the PAN Card, and do not remember the PAN number. This facility is provided by the Income Tax Department, available on the same’s official website.
You do not have to link your Aadhaar number with PAN, if the PAN number has not changed.
By law, you cannot retain two PAN Cards of two other PAN Numbers. In case you have more than two PAN Numbers under a circumstance, surrender one of the it in following ways:
- Submit a self-written letter to the assessing officer. This letter must contain your request for surrendering one of the PAN Cards.
- You should mention all the details about the different PAN Card you own.
- Also, mention which of the PAN Cards you wish to retain and the one that you wish to submit/surrender.
- Now hand the letter to the assessing offer. This officer will give you an acknowledgement number. This number will act as a proof that the PAN Card you have surrendered has been cancelled and inactive.
Here are details about who can pay for the PAN Card replacement as per the category of applicant and payment mode (Credit card/debit card/net banking):
- HUF: HUF Karta can pay
- Individual: Self or immediate family members such as spouse, children, or parents can pay
- Company: Any director of the particular firm can pay
- Association of Person(s)/ Body of Individuals/ Artificial Juridical Person/Local Authority Association of Person(s) Trust/: The authorized signatory can pay as per under Section 140 of Income Tax Act, 1961