What is E-Aadhaar?
If you do not have a physical copy of your Aadhaar Card, do not panic. You can use e-Aadhaar instead. It is the electronic version of your Aadhaar Card. Thus, the Aadhaar number (12-digit) on your physical card is same as the e-Aadhaar number. It serves as a proof of identity and proof of address. You can download it online after submitting your enrolment ID or Aadhaar number. The electronic version has the same importance as the physical card. You can check the Aadhaar Card status and download the e-copy of Aadhaar from the official website of UIDAI.
As this document is same as its physical copy, it has your demographic and biometric information such as:
- Your photograph
- Aadhaar number
- Date of Birth
What Are the Benefits of e-Aadhaar Card?
Below-mentioned are the advantages of an e-Aadhaar:
- The government of India provides several facilities and subsidies such as the LPG subsidy, to all individuals. And to avail such benefits, you must have e-Aadhaar if not the physical card. You can even open a bank account using this document.
- This document is accessible at all times because of its availability on the UIDAI’s online portal. E-Aadhaar is an electronic document, which you can easily download as per your convenience.
- Even if you misplace the physical Aadhaar card, then you do not have to worry, as the e-version of the document can be used instead.
- You cannot lose the e-Aadhaar as long as you remember either your Aadhaar number or the enrolment ID with its details.
- E-Aadhaar is digitally certified by UIDAI. You can get it printed and use it instead of the physical and original Aadhaar Card.
- This online card is a universal identity card. It can be applied for by every resident citizen of India. It is also available for children. For NRIs, Aadhaar Card is available for those who have completed continuous stay in the country for at least 182 days.
- This Card is both a proof of identity and proof of address unlike most other documents.
How to Download e-Aadhaar Online?
Below-provided are steps to download e-Aadhaar Card:
- Those who already have their 12-sigit Aadhaar number can use this detail to download e-Aadhaar. Others can use the enrolment number, time and date printed on the acknowledgement slip given at the time of Aadhaar application process.
- Visit the official website of UIDAI. Under ‘My Aadhaar’, click ‘Download Aadhaar’.
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number/14-digit enrolment ID/16-digit virtual ID.
- Complete the captcha verification.
- Click ‘I want a masked Aadhaar’, if you want so, or do not tick the box.
- Click ‘Send OTP’ and ‘Enter OTP’ as received on your mobile number.
- Then you will have to enter the e-Aadhaar password (first four letter of your name in uppercase and the birth year in YYYY format) to open the PDF file of e-Aadhaar.
Frequently Asked Questions about e-Aadhaar
Below-given are FAQs on e-Aadhaar Card:
If you select the option ‘I want a masked Aadhaar’ during download of e-Aadhaar, then your Aadhaar number will not show in the downloaded PDF. The first 8 digits of your Aadhaar number will be replaced by some other characters such as “xxxx-xxxx”. The PDF file will then only display the 4 digits of the Aadhaar Card.
You will need Adobe Reader to view the downloaded e-Aadhaar. Get this software installed in your system for easy viewing of the document.
An individual can own only one Aadhaar against his/her credentials. But, due to malpractices and fake documentation, there is a possibility of possession multiple Aadhaar Card by one person. Thus, there were steps taken to protect against such malpractices. And, certain Aadhaar numbers were deactivated down the line. As Aadhaar number is important for several procedures and transactions, applying for a Passport, opening a bank account, etc, it is important to know if your Aadhaar Card is active or deactivated.
Thus, is necessary to check if your Aadhaar is generated or updated:
- Click here to check e-Aadhaar status.
- Enter the enrolment ID, and select the date and time as per the acknowledgement slip.
- Enter the security code for captcha verification.
- Click ‘Check Status’.
- Now you will be able to see the status of your Aadhaar on the screen.