How to Apply for Driving Licence Online?
As per the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, you need a valid Driving Licence (DL) to drive a motor vehicle. To apply for a DL, you need to firstly obtain a Learner’s Licence (LL). You can apply for a DL/LL online on Sarathi website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. You can also apply offline at the RTO (Regional Transport Office) relevant to your resident state. You have to submit proof of age, identity, and address with your passport-sized photograph with the duly filled and signed application form to apply for a Driver’s Licence.
In this post, we will discuss about application for services on driver’s licence, steps for Driver’s Licence application online and offline, check DL application details, driving licence documents required, and frequently asked questions.
Application for Services on Driving License
- Visit here for DL services.
- Click 'DL Services'
- You will be redirected to a new page. Here, you will find information on Driver's Licence application online, and Driving Licence Services.
- Go through the details. Click 'Continue'.
- In the respective fields, enter the DL number and date of birth.
- Select the apt option from the dropdown ‘Category of the Driving Licence Holder’.
- Click ‘Get DL Details’.
- Proceed to the ‘Submit Request to’ section. Now select the state from the ‘State’ dropdown. Then pick relevant RTO from the ‘RTO’ dropdown or enter ‘Pincode’ in the required space.
- Click ‘Proceed’.
Steps to Apply for a Driving Licence Online
To apply for DL online, go to the Sarathi website of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. Here is the application procedure that you must follow:
- On the left-hand side of the Sarathi website, look for options under ‘Driving Licence’ section.
- Select ‘Apply Online’. Select ‘New Driving Licence’ from the dropdown.
- You will get the instructions to submit the DL application form. Click ‘Continue’ after reading the instructions.
- The system will ask you if you have a Learner’s Licence, Defence Licence, or Foreign Driving Licence. Check the suitable option, and proceed.
- Now you have to provide the Foreign DL Number/Learner’s Licence Number/Defence Licence Number as per the selected option.
- Provide your date of birth in DDMMYYYY format. Click ‘Ok’.
- Fill the details such as your name, address, and age in the form.
- After providing all information, upload the required documents such as proof of identity, proof of age, and proof of address.
- You may have to upload your passport-sized photograph (recent) and signature.
- Now choose the date and time to go to the RTO and appear for the Driving Licence test.
- Make the payment and submit the DL application form. This submission will be sent to the RTO. Make sure to reach on time for the DL test on the appointment day.
- Click ‘Submit’ at the end of the form. The system will then auto-generate a Web Application Number. Keep a note of this number for future reference. You can use this number to check the Driving Licence Application Status online.
How to Check Applicant Details with DL Application Number?
Here is how to check application details with web application number for DL:
- Select the State from dropdown ‘Select State Name’.
- Choose the relevant RTO name from the dropdown – RTO Name.
- Provide your first name, middle name, last name, and date of birth.
- Enter the captcha code. Click ‘Submit’.
Steps to Apply for Driving Licence Offline or at the RTO
Here is how to apply for a Driving Licence offline:
- Download Form 4 from the state transport’s website. This is an application form for motor vehicle driving licence in India. You can obtain the form from the nearest RTO as well.
- Duly fill and sign the application form. Submit it to the RTO in the jurisdiction you reside in with documents such as identity proof, age proof, and address proof.
- If you have enrolled in a Driving School, the institution will help you with the steps to apply for DL online or offline.
- Schedule a slot for DL test at the RTO. For the test confirmation, you need to also pay the required fee.
- Reach the test centre on appointment day. After clearing the test, you will receive the DL on spot, and the same will be sent to your registered address.
Documents for Driving Licence Application
Here are the documents required for Driving Licence online application:
- Learner’s Licence
- Passport-sized photograph
- Driving school certificate for applicants of transport vehicle driving licence
- Proof of address: Passport/Ration Card/State or Central Government issued payslip/Life Insurance Policy/Voter ID Card/Utility bills for telephone, gas, or electricity
- Proof of age: Voter Identity Card/PAN Card/Passport/School Matriculation Certificate/Birth Certificate
Frequently Asked Questions for Driving Licence Apply Online
Here are DL online application FAQs:
To avail a permanent Driving Licence, you need to firstly obtain a Learner’s Licence (LL). The validity for LL is 6 months. Within this period, you can apply for a permanent Driving Licence by passing the written and practical examinations. There has to be a gap of a month between application for LL and DL.
To be eligible to apply for a DL, you need the following:
- You must have a Learner’s Licence. You can apply for a Driving Licence 30 days post issuance of LL.
- For a four-wheeler’s learning licence, you should be at least 18 years of age and 16 years of age for a two-wheeler’s licence.
- LL holders should apply for a DL within 6 months (180 days) of LL issuance.
It is necessary to submit a medical certificate when you apply for a Learner’s Licence. However, the same is not mandatory for DL application, until you are over 50 year of age. A medical certificate is however compulsory if you are applying for a commercial or transport vehicle DL.
You can pay DL or LL fee online or via SBI challan. Here is a list of type of licence and fee for the same.
|Type of DL/LL Fee
|Renewal of LL
|Driving Licence Fees
|Driving license test
|Renewal of driver’s license
|International driver’s license
|Renewal and issue of license for driving schools
|Renewed driver’s license
|Duplicate licence for driving schools
|Fee to appeal against RTO
When applying for a DL, here are the papers you need to submit pertaining to your car:
- Car insurance proof
- Vehicle registration certificate
- Proof of tax payment
- Fitness certificate of the transport vehicle, if that is the case